Thursday, May 6, 2010

allen ginsberg: two.

I quit shaving
but the eyes that glanced at me
remained in the mirror.

Looking over my shoulder
my behind was covered
with cherry blossoms.


How do these two haikus by Allen Ginsberg compare to his other, more famous works (for example, Howl)? Is the reference to the cherry blossoms meaningful in any way or do you get the sense that Ginsberg is just using stereotypically Japanese imagery to somehow strengthen this work as a haiku? Do you draw any meaning from either of these haikus? Which one do you prefer? Is this art?

3 comments:

  1. Ginsberg never fails to make me laugh. He can be so serious and so silly. At different times. And sometimes at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get the reference to the cherry blossoms, it doesn't make much sense. But I guess the shaving one doesn't make sense either. I do like the shaving one better because it is unique, while the cherry blossom one does seem like it is trying too hard to reinforce that it is a haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first haiku of Ginsberg's. I have this striking image in my mind now of someone looking in the mirror, their eyes the only thing that show up. I like the commentary it makes on how we are drawn to the eyes versus the rest of the face. The eyes "tell all!"

    ReplyDelete